Friday, November 7, 2008

Veeram Kaliamman Temple




My mom used to tell me about how as a little girl she lived in a shop house across the temple. The temple which I seldom frequented is in Little India on 141 Serangoon Road. In Little India. One day out of sheer "coincidence" I had taken a friend of mine there to visit. My friend has just bought some jewelry from Little India and wanted the stones blessed before wearing it. Indians believe in the healing and energizing qualities of gemstones. And that stones carry vibration that can protect the wearer. When I stepped into that temple that day I realized it was a gorgeous temple and in particular it housed a gorgeous Durga. The Durga here was huge and had dewy eyes and a incredibly kind and loving face. And she was BIG !!! Very tall and had so many arms. I had been regularly praying every Tue to Durga this year. This was a new ritual I had started. So I was already cultivating a deep bond with this Goddess. So when I did see this beautiful Durga in this temple it really moved me. And it made me realize how we often overlook details and important things until we are truly ready to receive the wisdom embedded in them.

After this visit I did not visit the temple for sometime until another "accident" took me back there. This time it was an artist from Santa Fe who wanted me to take her to my favorite place in Singapore. I realized that the Durga in this temple was a favorite of mine and I know that it would be wonderful to take her on an early morning visit to the temple when it is quiet and deeply meditative. So last Saturday I woke up early morning to go to the temple. It was raining very hard. And rain for Hindus is a beautiful sign - washing away the old and bringing in the new. So braving the pouring rain I showed up at the temple at 8am. And bang - I was there for the morning temple puja with the musicians playing a tribute to the Goddess and a few devotees praying intensely. It was beautiful as it was very dark in the temple due to the rain and the sky being overcast. But the temple had switched on these beautiful fairy lights. And it was all quite magical. My friend I went with sat on the temple floor and said that she could feel the floor of the temple was so peaceful. And indeed she was right. There was a great vibration in the temple. After spending two hours talking to the priests, praying and taking some photos we left. My prayer when I left was that I want to come and visit Her every Saturday morning And I wanted her to give me a reason to do so. And she did very shortly.

No comments: